We have now agreed outline plans for the Coronation Celebration weekend
The most popular view from our small feedback survey was to hold the celebration in Market hill, and second choice was for the Pageant Field. However it suddenly became clear, at a late stage, that the event would take place over two days - the Coronation on the Saturday, and the Big Lunch on the Sunday. Our decisions had to take this into account as this had an impact when considering the different costs involved in hiring a screen for an indoor or an outdoor event. When we heard the Church would be filled with a Coronation flower display we thought this would create quite a special atmosphere for the event. As this was also in the centre of the town we opted for St Michael's Church as the indoor venue for the actual Coronation.
We are hoping a grant will be available to make the whole event ticket free.
Everything has yet to be confirmed, but the plans so far are as follows:
Saturday 6th (likely to be from 10.30 to 12.30)
- Screening of the Coronation ceremony in St Michael's Church on a 4m wide screen
- It will be a great view of Westminster Abbey from our own atmospheric church, which will be filled with a flower festival celebrating the event
- Celebratory Fizz - handed out by volunteer waiters / waitresses (free if sponsored)
- Best Dressed competition / prize giving (sponsor being sought)
Sunday 7th (likely to be from 12.00 to 3.00)
- Picnic in the Pageant Field - everyone brings their own food, chairs, blankets… some tables & chairs set up for invited guests from care homes, PHAB etc…
- Local Brewery to set up a pay bar
- Local musicians playing on the Pavilion veranda
- Professional sound system with background music between sets
- Entertainment of some kind - such as dramatic, comedic performances
- Local groups invited to set up fun activities as part of the "Big Help Out" campaign
Monday 8th - new Bank Holiday
- Local organisations have been invited nationally to run volunteer activities for the Big Help Out
We are now inviting clubs and groups, musicians etc. to take part in entertaining or running activities at the Coronation Picnic on Sunday 7th May.
See the Big Help Out poster
Please contact James Overbury at: firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know how you would like to take part
We asked for views on how you would like to celebrate this event. Your comments were very helpful to see what ideas and preferences people might have.
Here are the responses to our survey